Saturday, January 23, 2016

Jerk Night

Dear Diary,
Remind me to find my camera because all good pseudo-lifestyle blog needs pictures of food...

Turns out, the more I compare notes about what the first year of marriage is like, the more I hear how normal it is to never see the person you're married to. Sure, that doesn't make it any easier, but it's nice to know we're not the only ones to play this game.

A few nights ago, I got off of work earlier than usual (4pm), and Josh did as well (which put him at 8pm). It was practically a no-brainer to decide to make a dinner that was out of the ordinary to celebrate him coming home before I was in bed. I opted for something semi-homemade that I hadn't made before. KABOBS!

I stopped by Publix, and I was lucky enough to find pre-made beef kabobs ready for cooking!(If you're planning on doing this yourself, of course, it was steak, green peppers, onions, and a tomato on either side of the skewer) The only issue was I had no idea if they had pre-seasoned the meat or anything, so I had to find some sort of bold spice mix. I proudly took my kabobs into the ethinic food aisle to figure out what kind of a dinner to make. Turns out, a Jamaican jerk sauce was on sale. As was Caribbean style 90 second rice. Done. The meal practically decided itself.

I didn't have a grill by any stretch of the imagination, so I used the grill side of our pizza stone, put it on the top rack of the oven, and left the broiler on high for 10 minutes. In that time, I was able to rub possibly too much jerk sauce all over the kabobs and let them sit for a while to soak up the flavors. After the 10 minutes, I put both kabobs onto the heated pizza stone and let them sit for 7 minutes on one side. I only flipped them a hundred and eighty degrees once to get grill marks on the other side and a more even cook, and I left them in the oven for another 7 minutes til the meat was 145 degrees all the way through. All in all, it made for a shockingly easy not-so-date night.

No comments:

Post a Comment