Friday, March 18, 2011

Things that I've lost... and cake...

For some reason,  I've been plagued recently by the thoughts of things that I stupidly gave to exes/let exes borrow before I realized that they were going to be exes.  A few of these items in particular have been on my mind.  Let's just go chronologically...
- Harry Potter neck tie 
How did I get it? I bought that bad boy at the height of my Hot Topic days. I went with a girl named Sage, who was, at the time, my best friend.  Sage didn't bother to buy it, but she always wanted it.
Who has it? Dan -.-"
Why was I stupid enough to let him have it? We went to a Catholic high school complete with uniforms.  He needed a tie, and I had a fun one.  I figured I'd get it back at some point...
Horrible irony: Nope, I never got the tie back, but he totally wore it all the time after we stopped dating. Even when he was dating Sage AND a girl named Christine. (yep. At the same time.) So I saw my tie being pulled like a leash about once a week by either Sage or Christine.  As Dan used to say, "Ouch.  My soul."
- Original Skipper bracelet
How did I get it? I bought it in Canada in Epcot during my first college program.  I HAD to buy it in Canada because that is how it worked.  Skippers love Canada.  Why?  No idea.
Who has it? Zac -.-"
Why was I stupid enough to let him have it? I was leaving campus to head back home after visiting my old friends at Hope.  I forgot to put it on again in the morning, and he found it.  He decided to wear it til I went back.
Horrible irony: He got fatter (and consequently balder) before my last visit.  The bracelet was stretched out and disgusting when I saw it again.  By that point, I didn't even want it anymore.
- Fistful of Fig Newtons by Jean Shepherd and Pirates of the Caribbean 3
How did I get it? I bought the book at Barnes and Noble in December 2007.  Gui bought me Pirates 3.
Who has it? Gui -.-"
Why was I stupid enough to let him have it?  Around the time we first met/started working together, he asked if he could borrow one of my favorite books, so I let him borrow it.  Even when we were dating, I asked him for the book back several times.  He just kind of took the movie...?
Horrible irony:  I never got to finish reading Fistful of Fig Newtons, and I never watched my copy of Pirates 3. Deeeeepressing...

I'm not sure why I've been thinking about these things.  Maybe it was the conversation I had with a friend of mine about how his last ex had several of his stuffed penguins, and when they broke up, she threw them all away.  Or it could be the random, awkward, last attempt gifts from Gui.  He sent me a copy of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas for my birthday without signing the package or anything.  My guess is, he hoped I'd figure out who sent it (I totally did), and I'd text him saying thank you.  I didn't.  Instead, he texted me to say, "Did you randomly get a movie for your birthday, in the mail?" (Ugh... the inappropriate comma use was secretly one of the reasons why it would never work out...) I responded, "Yep. From you? Thank you."  I left it at that.  I haven't talked to him since.
More likely, though, is the guilt cake.  After all, you lose things in break ups, but there are plenty of things you gain.
I have a Spanish book, a physics workbook, and a few notes from Dan.
I have a Kill Bill poster, a scarf, a pillow, and a pair of socks (that I gave to my mother) from Zac.  The other stuff became bonfire fodder... the stuff from his current girlfriend (again, an old best friend) went to the same bonfire.
Gui gave me a few movies, an Oscar Wilde action figure, and some jewelry (which he wants back, but sad day, I don't have his address.).  He also gave me a recipe for his mother's orange rum cake.  This cake has now become "the guilt cake." 
I've made it since we broke up, and I think I'm better at it, but it's still the guilt cake.  It has been suggested that I should make it for another guy, and THEN it will become rebound cake.  But where will that end?  I'll eventually need "He's finally going to make an honest woman out of me" cake. 

No comments:

Post a Comment